There’s no denying it—I’ve always loved words, and more specifically, quotes. There’s something so satisfying in a quick, well-delivered bit of wisdom from those that you admire…and sometimes even those that you don’t. Whenever I feel like I’m at a loss for how to move forward, I frequently relate back to some of my favorite quotes or commentary on the subject matter at hand to find the motivation to proceed or the wisdom to reevaluate. So, without further ado, here’s a list of my top 10 business quotes, as well as the lessons I’ve learned from them.
- Trust yourself. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” -Steve Jobs
- Work until you complete your vision. There is no such thing as good enough. “Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.” -Jack Welch
- Be fearless. “But you have to do what you dream of doing even while you’re afraid.” -Arianna Huffington
- Dream big or don’t bother. “I like thinking big. If you’re going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big.” –Donald Trump
- See the opportunities ahead of you. “Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you’re not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were.” –David Rockefeller
- Cultivate excellence. “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” -Vince Lombardi
- It’s always about people. “People are definitely a company’s greatest asset. It doesn’t make any difference whether the product is cars or cosmetics. A company is only as good as the people it keeps.” –Mary Kay Ash
- Choose carefully. “You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don’t do too many things wrong.” –Warren Buffett
- Love your work, work your love. “If you work just for money, you’ll never make it, but if you love what you’re doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours.” –Ray Kroc
- Hone your vision. “Capital isn’t scarce; vision is.” -Sam Walton
Kristine Page is a social media strategist at the Rady School of Management. When she’s not tweeting, sharing photos on Instagram or writing Rady stories, you can find her sipping iced coffee and expounding on the merits of the latest Facebook changes to anyone who will listen.